Brinley's Birth Story
It was Thursday May 31, 2012 and I was dealing with my hemorrhoids so I don't know if that took my mind off of my pregnancy.
Anyways I was waiting for Joe to come home from work, we had dinner then he went back to his studying at the kitchen table while I got ready for bed. I remember laying in bed and feeling a little bit of fluid, just enough to make me get out of bed and go to the bathroom. It happened a few more times before I told Joe, "I think my water might be leaking?" I never knew that your water could slowly leak until we went to our all day labor and delivery class just a few weeks ago. So, we disscuse this for a min and decided to call my mom and see what she thought. She wasn't sure but said if we went in they could check the fluid and let us know if that is what is leaking or if I'm just not good at holding in my pee. So we started getting things together. I had a bag already packed for Brinley and me but Joe didn't know if he should put on jeans or sweats.
I decided to wear a huge pad to see if I could tell anymore. We called my neighbor who was going to watch champ and decided to just let champ sleep at our place and she would get him in the morning.
Our drive was quick to the hospital and a bit quiet. When we got there we went straight to labor and delivery to check in. Right away the told is all the rooms were full but some were still getting clean so it would be a min. A mature nurse was standing behind the receptionist and when I told them I was sure if my water was leaking or what she gave me a eye roll and asked if it was my first. I informed her it was and that's why I wasn't sure.
They had me come over to the nurses station to start answering question they normally do in the room. By this time the watery stuff had soak thru the pad and thru my pants and as I got up to follow her to a room I felt a rush of water go down my legs. We both laugh as I told joe to get our bags in the car because we are staying to have a baby. He ended up following to the room with all our excitement.
They had to get my IV started right away because I tested positive for strep B. Then they checked to see if I was dilated and told me I was maybe a finger tip, not even a 1. I thought wow, I'm going to probably have a long labor.
They told us to get some sleep and just relax. We were so excited we started calling family members. My parents pack up and jumped in the car about mid-night and drove all night!
Around 1:25 my dinner came up and they gave me zofran.
I started feeling the contractions right when joe feel asleep.
It was about a 4-5 on my pain scale which wasn't bad just not anything I could sleep thru. I started have some that would reach the top on the contraction chart they had me hooked up to. My nurse informed me I could get my epidural whenever I wanted. So I told myself I would wait until I had 3 more really bad constrations. So at 3:44am I requested the magic drug. The bummer was the dr just went in for an emergency c section and I would have to wait 30-45 mins to have the epidural. I was so happy I asked for it early on rather then right when I was in dying pain. I didn't know if I was even dilated.
At 4:30am the dr came in to give the epidural, he was so nice and so fast. He explained everything and I thought the whole thing was painless for me, just a bee sting here and there. So with no pain and wide awake Joe and I popped in a DVD of FRIENDS. After two episodes we were tired and decided to get any sleep we could. I woke up at 7:22 and nurse Kim ( one of the Best!) came in to check me. So sad to say I was only dilated to a 3 1/2 and still 90% effaced. She said my body is doing everything good and at a good rate so I wouldn't need pitocium.
I had my catheter in and feeling great, not even feel pregnant at all or in labor. Just having a good good time.
How was excited to check out the cafeteria and get some breakfast. While he was gone Kim checked me again and this time I was a 7!!
By this time I was progressing quickly. At 9am I was 9cm dilated and 10am I was a 10! I felt like once I hit 9 they tried to slow things down a bit because we had not reached my dr yet.
30 mins later we found out my Dr was at Zion's national park! Such a bummer but it was going to be okay. I had the on call dr, Dr. Klemperer.
The nurse had to get me all ready before the Dr came in so we started pushing. She asked Joe if he was interested in helping and holding my leg up and we both knew that would never happen, so they had to call in another nurse. We did 3 counts to 10 for some time, I think it was 30-45 mins but it seemed a lot shorter to me. Joe was great at helping me breath and counted for me. The nurses were great and funny. One got paged on her walkie talkie and without thinking responded " I can't come now, I'm pushing" we were laughing because she felt my pain like it was her own. Of course I still wasn't feeling any pain or discomfort.
Once I was ready the Dr came in and had me push for 10-20 mins, that was the craziest feeling I can not explain.
At 11:27am Brinley was out and in my arms. With lots of dark hair, beautiful lips and a cute button nose. Joe got to cut the cord and be the first to hold her after I had skin to skin and breastfed her.
My parents had made it up after driving all night and came at the perfect time when they were just taking me up to my room where I would stay for 3 days.
Taylor and Courtney also came in with my parents and brought some cute stuff animals for her. It was a wonderful delivery for me and everyone there was such a big help!


No comments:
Post a Comment